Mature midas has stopped eating

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

dkbyardley

Mature midas has stopped eating

Post by dkbyardley »

The midas is about 14 to 15 years old, nine inches long with no external signs of disease or wounds. About four weeks ago, found he was suffering from swim bladder disorder. Provided epsom salt baths of 15 min. For two days. On day three the bladder disease was cured. Over the next few days, noticed he was not eating. Although swimming normally, the midas experienced about five episodes of swimming erratically (hitting tank walls) for about three seconds over a few days. Lack of eating has continued to this day but the erratic behavior ended. The fish continues to swim normally and is active. The tank was treated with metroplex and ultimately, have force fed the midas each of the last two weeks, including a dose of metroplex. Tank mates include a Jack Dempsey (similar size) and a three inch African cichilid who are healthy. Tank is 90 gal, temperature is 79 degrees to encourage eating. Water parameters are fine, with slightly elevated nitrate. Water changes are 25% every 3-4 weeks. Would appreciate any help from forum members. I think the fish is dyeing from old age but did not expect him to be active during this process. I don’t know how long I should continue force feeding given this must be stressful for fish. Maybe another medication will be helpful? Thank you.

Return to “South American Cichlids”