Can I expect long dosal from estern fainzilberi?

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

NickHan

Can I expect long dosal from estern fainzilberi?

Post by NickHan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:16 am

Hello, I need your help to get some information about M. fainzilberi. One of my favorite Malawi cichlid is M. fainzilberi Maison reef because it has long beautiful dosal fin, that other mbuna doesn't have. I find from google image that western M.fainzilberi such(ex>M.fainzilberi luwino reef, M. fainzilberi katale) can make its dosal longer.

What i want to know is estern M.fainzilberi (especially red top like M.fainzilberi puulu, lundo, lundu) can have long dosal like M fainzilberi maison reef or not. It's little bit hard to find from image, and i expect someone can answer in this comunity.

Snailos

Re: Can I expect long dosal from estern fainzilberi?

Post by Snailos » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Good Evening

All Metriaclima Fainzilberi morphs regarding localities around the coastline of Lake Malawi has the genetic potential to grow long Pelvic fins.
Yes indeed some populations shows more extended Pelvic Fins then others ( Metriaclima Fainzilberi "Maison Reef" for example) , but I believe it is due to mate selection VIA conspecific females (Selecting the desired trait "long pelvic fins" within a breeding population of males). In Aquarium conditions bad husbandry skills can remove this character trait (Long Pelvic Fins) through selecting males born with shorter pelvic fins (forcing conspecific females to spawn with).When Females tend to select and breed with conspecific males that has long extended pelvic fins, the DNA that retains the "long pelvic fins" as a character trait in the males gets cemented into the Genotype for future generations ( females selecting males with long pelvic fins to breed with "Mate Selection" " Natural Selective Breeding"). Long Pelvic fins within a breeding population of males can help conspecific females to identify correct corresponding mates during mate selection in their Natural Habitat range. Two species of Copadichromis co existing at the same locality for example at Mbenji Island Copadichromis Mbenji "Mbenji" and Copadichromis Borleyi "Mbenji" has genetic character traits that sets them apart. Copadichromis Borleyi "Mbenji" has longer extended pelvic fins. Thus conspecific females knows which males are their respective corresponding partners during courtship behaviour ( body shape,spots, scent spawning site selection etc). At Maison Reef there are no Species that looks almost conspecific with Metriaclima Fainzilberi "Maison Reef", so now you would say that the fact stated above indeed totally rejects my statement earlier. But just remember the genetic potential to grow long pelvic fins can be highlighted by conspecific females during spawning selection at this type locality even without look alikes swimming around adding to the confusion. Indeed all Metriaclima Fainzilberi morphs regarding localities around the coastline of Lake Malawi has the genetic potential to grow long Pelvic fins.

Regards
Izak Louw

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”