Is this a flavimanus or some other fish?

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

dipaolt

Is this a flavimanus or some other fish?

Post by dipaolt » Wed May 06, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello,

Would anyone know what this cichlid? I bought it at a local shop several years, then it passed last year. The name they had for it does not match the photos I find online. It seems to be a C. flavimanus, but I am really not sure, (I asked the question 4 years ago, and got an answer but have been searching online sites where I could buy and haven't found it under that name), and I would like to buy another. It would make my day to be able to find it again. I was actually wondering if there is an app that allows you to put a photo in to find the species name (as they do with north american birds), but alas.

Thank you in advance. Tony.
Attachments
Flavimanus.JPG

samtez

Re: Is this a flavimanus or some other fish?

Post by samtez » Thu May 07, 2020 12:51 am

Hey Tony,

I'm no cichlid expert, but it seems you have a special cichlid on your hands. It's obviously not something that every fish store carries and not something that is easily identifiable. The sad part about all this is that it looks awesome. The thing with cichlids is that they're always going to have something I like to call "natural variation". This means that just because one specific fish looks the way it does, does not mean that other cichlids in its species or subspecies are going to look exactly like it. In hopes to be able to help you out, I did some searching on the internet across a few different pages. The closest I was able to get were some google image photos under the name "Flavimanus Lundu". Try the google search yourself. The colors seem to be similar as does body shape and stature. Of course, your fish might be a bit more green or silver or have more egg spots or whatever it is, its natural variation. Hopefully, I was able to help! Good Luck on your search!

Sam

dipaolt

Post by dipaolt » Thu May 07, 2020 5:46 am

Thank you, Sam.

That's what I was afraid of. That he's just a lucky combination of genetics that must have come from the wild if no others like it can be found on Cichlid shop websites. I did lookup Flavimanus Lundu and it does look somewhat similar, but it is not as long (and rectangular)-bodied. Could it be a variant of Protomelas ornatus without the yellows on the bottom and white strip on the dorsal? Perhaps?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Fri May 08, 2020 12:38 am

seems to have fat lips, could be Protomelas sp Hertae, look at the catalog

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”