Original description as Chromis guineensis:
- Günther, Albert C. L. G. 1862. "Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum. Catalogue of the Acanthopterygii, Pharyngognathi and Anacanthini in the collection of the British Museum". Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum London. Vol 4; i-xxi + 1-534 (crc00035)
- Tilapia affinis Duméril, 1861, with type locality at Senegal. Determiner: Stiassny, 1991
- Tilapia polycentra Duméril , 1861, with type locality at Gorée, Senegal. Determiner: Stiassny, 1991
- Chromis latus Günther , 1862, with type locality at West Africa. Determiner: Teugels et al., 1991
- Haligenes guineensis Bleeker, 1863, with type locality at Ashantee, Guinea. Determiner: Günther, 1862
Conservation: Coptodon guineensis is evaluated by the international union for the conservation of nature in the iucn red list of threatened species as (LC) least concern (2010).