Original description as Tilapia sparrmanii:
- Smith, A. 1838. "Pisces. In: Illustrations of the zoology of South Africa; consisting chiefly of figures and descriptions of the objects of natural history collected during an expedition into the interior of South Africa in 1834-36". Illustrations of the zoology of South Africa (crc00200)
- Chromys moffatii Castelnau , 1861, with type locality at Kuruman River, tributary of Orange River, South Africa. Determiner: Skelton, 1991
- Chromis ovalis Steindachner, 1866, with type locality at Angola. Determiner: Skelton, 1991
- Tilapia fouloni Boulenger, 1905, with type locality at Lake Bangwelo (Bangweolo), Zambia. Determiner: Stiassny, 1991
- Tilapia deschauenseei Fowler, 1931, with type locality at Botletle River at Maun, Bechuanaland (Botswana). Determiner: Stiassny, 1991
Conservation: Tilapia sparrmanii is evaluated by the international union for the conservation of nature in the iucn red list of threatened species as (LC) least concern (2018).